Alright...I beg to differ, the blog ain't dead. Not even close. Here's my excuse: it was August and in Cincinnati it was too hot to blog. It was too hot to do anything. Almost too hot to continue existing.
Check out this Todd Snider song that I've been listening to & enjoying:
The Ballad of the Kingsmen
Here's an exerpt of the lyrics:
"You know, every ten years or so our country and some other little country,
We start firing all of our newest weapons
At each other for some reason or another, right or wrong,
Like it or not, it happens, and when it happens
People get shot and when people get shot,
They show it on tv a lot, every night at six o clock
And you don't even have to be eighteen to see it
you don't even have to be in first grade,
First grade where they teach the kid pride
They tell him he'll need to thrive,
In a world where only the strong will survive,
So he's taught the art of more
To compare to and to keep score Monday thru Friday while
He stares at the floor til' Sunday they make him go to
School once more only this time they make him wear a suit and a tie
And listen to some guy who claims to know Where people go
When they die tell him that only the meek are gonna inherit the earth
Well shit, by this time the kid doesn't know what anything
Is worth, now brothers and sisters I am only one guy
And I don't even know the words to that song Louie, Louie
but I can tell you right now without batting an eye
That the next time some latchkey kid goes wrong
It aint gonna be cause that Eminem gets to say the word faggot in his song
And I'm not trying to preach to you either,
I'm just trying to sing to you too, you know string a few words together...
Hey kids...Lets get it on..."
By the way, the Polyphonic Spree is on Austin City Limits that we're watching right now and here's a few observations:
(1) I liked them better the first time when they were the Flaming Lips
(2) Is it just me or does every song sound like something from Jesus Christ Superstar?
(3) The multi-colored robe bit they have makes them look like a cult.
(4) Nobody has ever or will ever use the theramin as effectively as the Beach Boys in Good Vibrations so everyone should just stop trying and leave it to B-grade monster movies.
(5) Tim Delaughter is a bit of a megalomaniac, but not necessarily more than all of us human beings.