Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Mike Doughty Show @ the Southgate House

Pretty good show. Left reeking of smoke. Not so cool.

Love Doughty's music but man he's got a foul mouth. I haven't heard that many F words in such a short period of time since the last time I saw the non-TV version of Beverly Hills Cop. (Last Saturday).

I really dig his new album Golden Delicious which you ought to check out if you haven't already.

Highlights of the show for me were:
-Put it Down off of Golden Delicious.
-The bizarre banter & tuning music.
-Unsingable Name of off Haughty Melodic.
-The fake last song. They didn't leave the stage they just turned around & pretended to have left before playing the "encore."
-The Gambler cover. Rollicking. Killer.

His record opener, Fort Hood, is a particulary poignant critique of the war. He lifts the chorus from the 5th Dimension but it's a great synthesis. Here's the first bit:

"I'd rather watch movie stars get fat.
I'd rather hang up the flag & be done with it.
I'd rather keep the frenzy & the fire out of my mind.
I'd rather take sides in an argument.
I'd rather crank up the bass in a dark basement.
I'd rather leave the mobs & the murder in a different land.
Let the sun shine in..."



2 comments:

  1. One of my co-workers at starbucks was telling me I needed to check him out the other day I'll have to try and find some of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Check it out. That's somewhat ironic that your Starbucks buddy said to check him out because Doughty's got a song called "Busting Up a Starbucks."

    I worked @ the 'buck but let's be honest...who HASN'T felt like busting up a Starbucks?

    ReplyDelete