Alright...so I've entered into the world of coffee roasting with a popcorn popper. Woohoo!
It is strangely, ridiculously fun, slumped over a little popcorn popper with a tin can teetering as a chimney, oven mitt in hand, wondering what in the world is 1st crack, 2nd crack, how long is too long, etc. It's oddly amusing and so piece miel that I feel like I'm cooking crystal meth or something. Maybe crystal meth isn't so much fun to take as it is a trip to make. Sorry. Crystal Meth jokes aren't in any way appropriate.
Anyway...while roasting I cheesed out at 30 minutes. It took like 15 minutes to get to what they call in the biz "1st crack" which is ironically what they call your first visit from a professional plumber after you've bought a house.
Then it was another 5-10 minutes until 2nd crack and as aforementioned I cheesed out at 30 minutes.
The roast looked about like it is above. A little light for my taste but not terrible. Tasted earthy and had low acidity when I brewed it. The gist: it didn't suck, which is nice.
Commentary on today's greatness for two reasons, well, many reasons:
(1) I drank Sulawesi first thing. Not home roasted yet.
(2) I had Chipotle for lunch w/ Cheryl & the Mekster. Mmmm...burrito.
(3) I'm going to roast again after work.
(4) It's Wilco day! Wilco show @ the Aranoff tonight.
(5) I've got a huge stack of books that I can't wait to get to reading. Now it's just finding the time.
Off to finish working and then off for coffee roasting and Wilco!