Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Do You Remember Walter?














Walt Jocketty is the new General Manager of the Reds. And Wayne Krivsky got the short shrift.

Brian, you asked for my opinion, so here it is:

For the record, I like Walt Jocketty and think he will do a mighty fine job. I am also on the record many, many times saying I didn't like Krivsky. And by and large I didn't. He made some great moves and some terrible ones, which average out to a solid C grade for his tenure.

I really dock him some points for what he did to the minor league system. He didn't cripple it by any means, but he didn't exactly make it the best in the league, either. (Cueto, Bailey, Bruce, and Votto were all pre-Krivsky.) Of course, his drafts can't fully be evaluated until a few years down the road, so the point is moot, I suppose. But he did get rid of Johnny Almaraz (the guy who found and signed Cueto), so that's not so good.

Moves I liked: Phillips, Hamilton, Arroyo, Burton, Volquez.
Moves I didn't: Kearns/Lopez, Stanton, Patterson, Castro.

I say that he got the short shrift because everyone saw this coming--months ago. As soon as Jocketty came on board, Krivsky's time began running out. But they should have made a move in the offseason--either last one, or after this season. To do it now, after less than a month, shows a dearth of class.

However, if this means that Patterson, Freel, and/or Fogg will be gone, or that Hatteberg will be traded for some real value, then it's better for the Reds. Oh yeah, and if Jay Bruce is called up it will help. A lot.

I don't know Walt Jocketty's reputation, though I've heard he favors veterans. He did win a World Series, though. And unless he blows up the roster there's not really a whole lot he can do to make this team worse, but there's a whole lot he can do to make it better.

More than anything, it's time to stop the revolving front door in the front office. Hopefully Jocketty gets five years, at least, regardless of "winning now." Baseball isn't a "win now" sport; it's a build then win sport. I will criticize Jocketty if he does something I don't like, because that's what Reds fans do. But I will support him for five years.

Unless he trades Jay Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment